which radio to go for
Gazz
2010-02-09 01:58:49 UTC
ATM i have a futaba 6exa 35mhz radio set for my multiplex easy glider, (i'm
in the uk BTW)

i want to yank my self into the 21st centuary, so it's time to go for a 2.4
gig radio set,

i origionaly thought i'd stick with futaba, logical choice would be the 6ex
fasst system, i can not see my self ever needing more than 6 chanels,

but i also am wondering about maybe the spektrum dx6i, they seem to be about
the same price,
havent looked at RX prices yet, but i guess if one of them are half the
price of the other, then that's the one i'd go for, as i now have another
plane, and have been given a helecopter, i also have a boat and a buggy, so
would be nice to have them all on the one TX.
Robert Scott
2010-02-09 02:36:52 UTC
Post by Gazz
ATM i have a futaba 6exa 35mhz radio set for my multiplex easy glider,
(i'm in the uk BTW)
i want to yank my self into the 21st centuary, so it's time to go for a
2.4 gig radio set,
i origionaly thought i'd stick with futaba, logical choice would be the
6ex fasst system, i can not see my self ever needing more than 6 chanels,
but i also am wondering about maybe the spektrum dx6i, they seem to be
about the same price,
havent looked at RX prices yet, but i guess if one of them are half the
price of the other, then that's the one i'd go for, as i now have another
plane, and have been given a helecopter, i also have a boat and a buggy,
so would be nice to have them all on the one TX.
That's a tough choice. I just made a similar one. I read too many Spektrum
horror stories and decided to go with Futaba's FASST system. The Spektrum
advantage is all those neat bind-'n'-fly electric models you can buy these
days that are set up for that system. I got the impression that the Futaba
system is technologically superior, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm
no electronics expert by any means!

I was kind of disappointed with Futaba's TX offerings. I have (and really
like) Futaba's 8U Super and 9CAP transmitters. The 9CAP's programming is
easier. But if you decide to go with FASST, there is really no comparable
transmitter. The 8-channel FASST (8FG) uses a different programming
interface than the old 8U Super or 9CAP. There is no 9-channel FASST Tx.
If I bought the 8-channel Tx, I'd now have three high-end radios with three
different programming systems. I could buy the FASST modules for my 8U and
9CAP radios, but it's only eight channels (which is really all I need, so
far)... doesn't seem right spending money to turn my 9-channel radio into an
8-channel radio.

I chose the 7-channel 7C system, which has programming similar to my 9CAP
and is considerably less expensive than the 8FG. I really wish Futaba
could have standardized their computer radios! I now have four Futaba
computer radios, the 4EXA, 8U Super and 9CAP, and only two of them (9CAP
and 7C) have the same programming system.

Good flying,
desmobob
Skywise
2010-02-09 04:14:58 UTC
Post by Gazz
but i also am wondering about maybe the spektrum dx6i
I have been using a DX6i for about a year now and so far am
pleased with it. I had an Easyglider too but lost it, most
likely due to loss of contact. Make sure you get a full range
receiver and not a park one that doesn't have the range. I
currently use a AR6200 dual receiver an am happy.

I have a background in electronics so I dug into the details.
There is a big technical difference between the Spektrum and
the Futaba radios which I feel favors Futaba. However, unless
you are in an area prone to 2.4GHz interference, or planning
to do FPV, I think you should be ok with either one and can
concentrate on other features.

Both systems use the 2.4GHz band using spread spectrum. Even
with spread spectrum there are still "channels" but that is
irrelevant to the difference I'm about to describe.

When you start up a Spektrum radio, it searces for two free
channels (of 80?) and uses them. The receiver comes on next
and scans all channels until it finds the tx. The system stays
on those two channels until turned off. If by some chance both
channels get interference, you could lose a plane.

Futaba, on the other hand, is constantly shifting it's channels.
Unless the entire 2.4GHz band gets snuffed out, it should stay
in contact.

Beyond that, I do not know anything else as I have zero experience
with the Futaba radios. But I do know Futaba has been around a
very long time. Oh, they did have a problem with their FASST system
apparently, with the binding codes inadvertantly being set to
zero which meant any radio controlled any plane - shoot down!!! But
I understand they have fixed this.

Spektrum had it's issues (and recall) but any new technology
is going to have growing pains.

Hope this helps.

[now if only the weather would hold for my days off so I can
maiden my eFlite T-34]

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Robert Roland
2010-02-09 11:35:11 UTC
Post by Gazz
ATM i have a futaba 6exa 35mhz radio set for my multiplex easy glider, (i'm
in the uk BTW)
i want to yank my self into the 21st centuary, so it's time to go for a 2.4
gig radio set,
The 6EX is also available in 2.4. If that radio covers your needs, it
is great value for money. It may feel a little disappointing to
upgrade to a radio that's essentially identical, but at least you are
familiar with how to operate it.
Post by Gazz
i origionaly thought i'd stick with futaba, logical choice would be the 6ex
fasst system, i can not see my self ever needing more than 6 chanels,
but i also am wondering about maybe the spektrum dx6i, they seem to be about
the same price,
havent looked at RX prices yet, but i guess if one of them are half the
price of the other, then that's the one i'd go for, as i now have another
plane, and have been given a helecopter, i also have a boat and a buggy, so
would be nice to have them all on the one TX.
That's five models right there. The 6EX has only six model memories.
Boats and cars are probably quick to setup, but it's still nice to be
able to keep all models stored. The 7C has ten memories.

If your heli has a glow engine and a governor, you will need 7
channels. I use 8, because I like to have a separate channel to switch
the governor on and off.

If your heli is electric, you'll probably want a timer. The 6EX does
not have one, while 7C does.

The 6EX does not feature sub trim. If your heli has an eCCPM setup
(most do these days), you will miss sub trim, but you can live without
it if you have to. Also, the 6EX has only two flight modes, one in
addition to the normal mode. It'll probably be while before you see
that as a limitation, but it's something to be aware of.

Your time zone suggests you live in Europe. In that case, there is one
very important difference between Spektrum and Futaba: Spektrum's
system is only allowed to transmit at 10mW, while Futaba, due to their
frequency-hopping system, are allowed 100mW transmission power. That's
going to make a considerable difference in range.

If I were to get a new radio now, I'd have Futaba's 10C, since the 9C
is obsolete and not available with 2.4GHz. If that's too expensive,
the 7C is excellent value for money. There's also an 8FG, but I do not
know anything about it.
RoRo
Gazz
2010-02-09 23:33:27 UTC
Post by Gazz
ATM i have a futaba 6exa 35mhz radio set for my multiplex easy glider, (i'm
in the uk BTW)
i want to yank my self into the 21st centuary, so it's time to go for a 2.4
gig radio set,
Cheers for the brilliant replies,

yes i am in england, so the 7C is called something else here, FF7 or
something, but it's out of my price range unfortunately,

i am thinking about wanting to 'upgrade' so the 6ex would not feel like an
upgrade,

the Dx6i does seem like an upgrade, much bigger lcd screen, seems easier to
use with the click and scroll wheel, the timer would be handy too,

i am thinking about the power output thingy tho, but the dx6i boasts full
range.

however, one day i'd love to be able to do the fly by video thingy, but i
was thinking that by the time i get round to doing that there may be
different frequancies for the video stuff to operate on,
Robert Roland
2010-02-10 09:15:05 UTC
Post by Gazz
yes i am in england, so the 7C is called something else here, FF7 or
something, but it's out of my price range unfortunately,
One more thing to consider: There is nothing wrong with 35MHz. It's
been working perfectly for at least 25 years, and it will continue to
do so for quite a while longer. In stead of getting the radio you can
afford, maybe it's better to save up for a few more months and get the
radio you really want?
RoRo
Ed Paasch
2010-02-25 00:16:11 UTC
I hope you have a Sanwa/Airtronics reseller where you shop. I've been
flying the RDS8000 2.4Ghz radio system for almost two full year now, I
couldn't recommend it more highly! The very agreeable pricing on extra
receivers was one of the things that got me to look past Spektrum and Futaba
when I decided to take the 2.4Ghz leap. Airtronics/Sanwa has a full lineup
of full range and micro park flyer receivers and they're all priced very
agressively. The very high value is just icing on the cake for completely
reliable radio systems that are easy to program.
RoRo
Charley38
2013-03-05 18:39:23 UTC
I have both the RDS-8000 & the Hitec Aurora 9 radios. Of the two I
prefer the A9 for its far easier programming, 100 model memories and
telemetry features. In addition, Hitec is constantly upgrading the
firmware to include new features, many of which were developed in
response to customer feedback. These upgrades are free to A9 owners &
downloadable on the web using the HPP-22 and your computer.

CR