AAMCO Lou Andrews kits...
PCPhill
2007-04-09 23:56:02 UTC
When I first started flying in the 70's, the Andrews H-Ray was my club's
trainer of choice.

I just picked up one on eBay, and I'm thinking of redesigning it for
electric(mainly lightening it, and making it a taildragger, ailerons
optional).

Does anyone know who, if anyone owns the rights to the AAMCO line? I'd like
to make the plans available if and when I get it done.

Thanks,
PCPhill
Red Scholefield
2007-04-10 00:33:48 UTC
Just do your redesign and call it the E-Ray. They were a fine flying model.
Take out a lot of the dihedral if you are going to add ailerons, and check
the incidence, set it nearly 0 - 0. I don't recall what it was on the
original, but if it is like a lot of planes of that era it had way to much
for today's power and weights.

Red Scholefield VRCS 951
PCPhill
PCPhill
2007-04-10 07:19:20 UTC
Thanks Red, I'd thought of that, but want to keep it legal if possible.
I've had a software copyright lifted from me in the past.( or at least the
royalties, paltry though they'ed have been) I built several back then,
including ailerons with no dihedral. I don't remember the incidence, but
hopefully I'll have the kit in hand soon.

PCPhill

PCPhill
Jim Slaughter
PCPhill
PCPhill
2007-04-10 22:11:03 UTC
If it flys well I wanted to make the plans available, probably free on the
web. I'd need permission to do that. No plans for selling anything, at least
at this point.

PCPhill
produce it for sale.
Robert Reynolds
2007-04-10 23:46:02 UTC
Post by Jim Slaughter
You can modify any kit without any problems. You simply cannot copy it and
produce it for sale.
If you do a good job with it, maybe Great Planes would produce it and
pay you for the design. They have to pay somebody for everything they do.
Tom Minger
PCPhill
PCPhill
2007-04-10 07:21:38 UTC
I was hoping for a smaller company...
I'll do it for my own amusement then, but a couple of emails won't hurt.

PCPhill
Post by Tom Minger
Great Planes has the rights.
PCPhill
R.J. Roman
2007-04-10 19:18:13 UTC
Yep... I remember that Don Anderson (GP Model Manufacturing) bought out Lew
Andrews... I think that GP kitted the A-Ray for a while.

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
Post by Tom Minger
Great Planes has the rights.
PCPhill
PCPhill

Great Planes has the rights.
R.J. Roman

Great Planes has the rights.
Tom Minger
2007-04-11 02:39:37 UTC
I think they have, sometimes under different names than Andrews used, kitted
all of his designs. The Sportster and the Aeromaster are direct decendants,
and I think several of the Tower/Great Planes trainers had Andrews
bloodlines.
Post by R.J. Roman
Yep... I remember that Don Anderson (GP Model Manufacturing) bought out Lew
Andrews... I think that GP kitted the A-Ray for a while.
Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
www.m-a-e.com
Post by Tom Minger
Great Planes has the rights.
PCPhill
Frank A. Eddy
2012-08-18 13:38:13 UTC
I have two Lou Andrews aeromasters that fly great need to sell them
They have O.S. 65 2 cycle engines, all servos, and J.R. receivers.
Will need your transmitter. Engines have less then three hours run tim
and are like new

Will take $200 for each one plus the cost of shipping. I'm located i
Norman, Ok
you can call me at 405-701-3575 I also have other models available.
But to many to list?
many accessories etc, etc

--
Frank A. Edd