JR XF421EX
wdnshu
2006-08-12 00:19:04 UTC
Anybody has had problems with JR Xf421EX radio.Bought it 2 years ago and due
to work constraints only installed it last week in a Nexstar ARF.The problem
is ,it will not reset.The flapperons and delta stay engaged and will not
turn off, never mind what I try.The WNG is OF, but that's it.Enlighten me,
am I doing something wrong?.Thanks in advance
Branko
2006-08-13 10:37:48 UTC
Post by wdnshu
Anybody has had problems with JR Xf421EX radio.Bought it 2 years ago and
due to work constraints only installed it last week in a Nexstar ARF.The
problem is ,it will not reset.The flapperons and delta stay engaged and
will not turn off, never mind what I try.The WNG is OF, but that's
it.Enlighten me, am I doing something wrong?.Thanks in advance
I'm in a similar situation as you. Had my XF421EX for several years now,
use it with FMS now and again, but trainer is still a work in progress.

Do you have the knack for getting it into System Mode? Scroll and Inc+
pushed up when transmitter is turned on. Page 16 of the manual.

The problem you describe sounds like Wing Type Selection. Enter System
Mode, press Scroll untill MIX WNG apprears on screen. Page 19 of the
manual.

Sorry for quoting the manual but you didn't say exactly where things went
wrong for you. Are you further advanced than the above when you get stuck?
wdnshu
Martin X. Moleski, SJ
2006-08-13 14:19:59 UTC
Post by wdnshu
I can turn WNG off and on, but FPR and DLT stay ON nevermind what I do
Looking at p. 19 and 20 of the manual on this website:
http://www.jrradios.com/ProdInfo/Files/jrp5212-manual.pdf

It looks as though you may have to turn FPR and DLT OFF by scrolling
to the correct screen and pressing the right buttons to turn them off.

Just turning WNG OF may be the wrong approach.

Then again, WNG ON may be what's needed.

I don't have the radio, so I can't check this firsthand.

I've also posted your question at:

Someone there may have a hint about what works.

Marty
Branko
2006-08-14 12:23:35 UTC
Ahh, now I see your problem. I've just worked through the manual and guess
what, ITS WRONG!

The manual indicates that flapperon and delta are to be switched on and off.

However, using +/-inc on my 421, it cycles through the options like this:

WNG OFF > FPR ON > DLT ON

So if one exits system mode when FPR ON is showing, then flapperons remain
in effect. Exit with WNG OFF, then none of the above remain in effect.
The inc buttons only scroll through the options.

However, V-tail is different. If WNG OFF or flapperons (but not delta) then
the channel button opens VTL options. In this situation, the inc button
_will_ turn V-tail ON and OFF. I actually got flapperons and V-tail at the
same time on an ill fated foamy slow flyer that I attempted last year.

Could it be possible that XF421EX has variations in firmware? Does anyone
have a set that agrees with the manual.
stuck?
wdnshu
2006-08-15 00:45:13 UTC
Hi Mr.Branko.I did what you suggested and the rudder ,elevator throttle and
ailleron work but rudder and elevator seem to have a mind of there
own.Without any stickmovement from me, they move 1/8" any way in no
particular sequence.Will be scared to fly a plane this way.Are we stuck with
duds.I've emailed Horrizon, but sofar no answer.Bye the bye, my unit is
still under warrantyThanks Wdnshu
stuck?
Branko
2006-08-15 09:41:19 UTC
Agreed, the servos shouldn't be making 1/8" uncommanded movements. Before
you send it back, be a good idea to check the Rx battery: marginal volts
can result in similar symptoms to what you describe.
wdnshu
2006-08-16 00:06:22 UTC
Mr.Branko you are a genius.The voltage was 3.85, after charging 5.05V and
all problems seem to be solved.How long is flight time on a fully charged
flight battery?.Thanks again. Wdnshu
wdnshu
Branko
2006-08-16 12:06:08 UTC
Greetings Wdnshu,

Hmmm, flight time... well that depends on lots of things. Number and size
of servos, battery health, flying style, risk taking etc. Questions like
this have resulted in mixed opinions on this newgroup. When discussed I
came to the conclusion that most flyers top up before a day of flying and
don't worry too much.

However, may I make one observation. In your original post you said that
your set has not been used for some time (mine too except for simulator
work). A danger exists that one or more cells have been self discharged
too deep, are damaged and may limit full capacity. Recommend you measure
capacity of the pack and if it falls short of specification, replace it.
Storm's Hamilton
2006-08-16 18:59:43 UTC
Post by Branko
Greetings Wdnshu,
Hmmm, flight time... well that depends on lots of things. Number and size
of servos, battery health, flying style, risk taking etc. Questions like
this have resulted in mixed opinions on this newgroup. When discussed I
came to the conclusion that most flyers top up before a day of flying and
don't worry too much.
However, may I make one observation. In your original post you said that
your set has not been used for some time (mine too except for simulator
work). A danger exists that one or more cells have been self discharged
too deep, are damaged and may limit full capacity. Recommend you measure
capacity of the pack and if it falls short of specification, replace it.
I was thinking the same thing. 5.05V is not good. Cycle the RX battery a
few times and see what it gets to.
mk
eduar2079
2012-10-17 17:36:46 UTC
Hi I hope someone can help me.
I have a radio XF421EX JR. unfortunately my brother plugged it into
charger with poles reversed what caused the radio does not turn o
again. I wish someone would tell me the right way to solve this problem
the radio has a very personal value and really did not want to get ri
of the radio. I'll be grateful to the person who can help me.
Thanks ...
Greetings ..

eduar207
BobH
2012-10-18 02:22:26 UTC
Post by eduar2079
Hi I hope someone can help me.
I have a radio XF421EX JR. unfortunately my brother plugged it into a
charger with poles reversed what caused the radio does not turn on
again. I wish someone would tell me the right way to solve this problem,
the radio has a very personal value and really did not want to get rid
of the radio. I'll be grateful to the person who can help me.
Thanks ...
Greetings ...
The JR transmitters I have been inside, have a fuse. It is mounted on
the main board, under the battery pack in the transmitter. Look and see
if yours has one and if it is blown. If it is, it might be a quick, easy
fix.

BobH
Doug McLaren
2012-10-27 06:43:05 UTC
On 2012-10-18, BobH <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

| On 10/17/2012 10:36 AM, eduar2079 wrote:
|> Hi I hope someone can help me.
|> I have a radio XF421EX JR. unfortunately my brother plugged it into a
|> charger with poles reversed what caused the radio does not turn on
|> again. I wish someone would tell me the right way to solve this problem,
|> the radio has a very personal value and really did not want to get rid
|> of the radio. I'll be grateful to the person who can help me.
|> Thanks ...
|> Greetings ...
|
| The JR transmitters I have been inside, have a fuse. It is mounted on
| the main board, under the battery pack in the transmitter. Look and see
| if yours has one and if it is blown. If it is, it might be a quick, easy
| fix.

That's quite likely. Though if that fuse were burned out, the radio
would probably still work -- it just couldn't be charged. Though of
course if the battery was dead then it wouldn't work very well, would
it?

If one had a general purpose R/C charger, one could charge the battery
pack outside the radio and see if the radio worked once it was put
back in.
--
Doug McLaren, ***@frenzied.us