New to RC flight
pjw
2004-01-01 22:56:53 UTC
Hi! I'm wondering if I can get some guidance as regards how to get started
with RC flight. I've always been interested in aviation (scanning, Flight
Sim, etc) but have never toyed with RC models. For my birthday (55...) my
wife presented me with a RTF Aerobird Challenger. The booklet suggests
contacting an instructor if you've never done this before. Does anyone know
where I can find a club (or whatever) in the area of Sussex County, NJ? I
don't want to crash the thing on the first day out, although I realize that
this may be wishful thinking, but I figure I'll give it an honest shot as
this seems like it may be a lot of fun.

Thanks!

Paul
Hopatcong, NJ
Dr1Driver
2004-01-01 23:05:09 UTC
Post by pjw
Does anyone know
where I can find a club (or whatever) in the area of Sussex County, NJ?
Welcome to R/C! Check the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) web site for club
locations near you.

www.modelaircraft.org
Dr.1 Driver
"There's a Hun in the sun!"
Paul McIntosh
2004-01-02 00:38:02 UTC
One of the best places to start is a local hobby shop. Most of them that
deal in R/C stuff will know where the clubs and instructors are.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
Hopatcong, NJ
Lecisron
2004-01-02 00:42:58 UTC
Post by pjw
Does anyone know
where I can find a club (or whatever) in the area of Sussex County, NJ?
Paul, Since you live in Hopatcong, you may want to look into The Top o' NJ club
which has a field near Waterloo Village or RAMAC which has a field in Great
Meadows, NJ. RAMAC meets
at 7:30pm the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month in the Cafeteria of the
Eisenhower Middle School on Eyland Ave. just South of Rt.10 in Succasunna,NJ.
You are always welcome to come and ask a lot of questions. RAMAC web Page is
at: http://www.ramac.org

Good luck with your search,
Ron L.
Dave Rivas

Hopatcong, NJ
Nick
2004-01-03 05:10:50 UTC
Hey Paul,

I got an Aerobird Challenger for myself (from my wife)for Christmas. I
practiced by downloading a simulator demo I found online. There are a
number of them out there. I used Ripmax but I know a number of people
use the FMS simulator. These can control your simulated RC plane with
a regular joystick or hook up to your transmitter if you have the more
expensive kind.

After flying on my computer for two nights and countless virtual
crashes I could finally take off, circle the field, perform some
loops, and sort of land my virtual plane. I felt I was ready to fly my
airplane.

I flew it on a windy day...NOT recommended. 10-15mph Wait till below 5
if starting out. Try a nice level throw into the wind with the
throttle at about 3/4 of max. Level off and let her climb a bit while
slowly turning to get the feel. I found that after the 2nd flight I
wanted the added control that I had in my simulator so I put my
aerobird into Pro mode for the added control. Wow, what a difference!

I have only been flying since the week before Christmas and I have the
hang of it pretty well. I attribute it to the simulator and flying in
various conditions. Here are two links to some short videos my 8 year
old and my sister-in-law took of me flying.

http://npneighbor.com/aerobird2.html and
http://npneighbor.com/aerobird3.html

Be sure to sign up for my Aerobird group found on these pages so you
can trade your experiences.

Nick