tower hobbies .46 engine
doug
2004-06-21 22:37:20 UTC
how good is this engine compared to other brands like OS ? thinking of
putting it in a 40 size trainer.

doug,
Howard
2004-06-21 23:56:47 UTC
Doug,
They are decent engines for the price. They are strong and will run well.
The question I have is how long will it last. I had two .46's and one .75.
One of the .46's needed a new piston and liner in less than 18 months (I fly
almost every weekend). I did sell the other .46 before any trouble. I also
had to replace piston and liner on the .75 after about two years. Keep in
mind that I haven't replaced anything on my OS 46FX in more than three
years. All this I think comes under what you might call: "you get what you
pay for". And I have a OS 40FSR that I bought used and was told it was all
original then. It still has good compression. That motor is probably 8 to 10
years or more old.
If an OS is not in your dudget I would look at the Thunder Tiger 46 Pro. It
is a very strong motor. I recently bought one and was impressed with its
power and ease of break-in and tuning. Many have told me they are extremely
reliable and durable. And best of all you can find them for about the same
price as the Tower 46.
I'm sure you'll probably get many different opinions here. Check with the
guys at your flying field. They can tell what shops have what you're looking
for and what kind of parts support is available locally should you need it.
Good luck.
Howard
Orlando, Fl.
Fly all year!
doug,
Paul McIntosh
2004-06-22 06:48:24 UTC
Go to the source and buy a GMS .47. Better carb.

--
Paul McIntosh
http://www.rc-bearings.com
doug,
theaveng
2012-08-21 15:27:58 UTC
Go to the source and buy a GMS .47. Better carb. So a Tower 46 == a GMS 47? Interesting. Why was the engin
displacement downsized when it was rebranded from GMS to Tower? Als
what is the long-term verdict on these things? Prone to fast wearout

--
theaven

Ted Campanelli
2004-06-22 14:38:09 UTC
On 6/21/2004 6:37 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

The Tower engine is a GMS engine with a different (read that as not as
good) carb. The Tower engines I have had, have had excellent power
(better than the OS) due to their muffler, good transition and idle.
The ONLY problem I had with them is they would not shut off with the
transmitter. Others who have had the Tower engines have also reported
poor transition and idle.

The GMS engines, due to their carb, are not supposed to have the idle
and transition problems, but still retain the excellent power. I have
not owned a GMS so I do not have first hand experience with them, nor do
I know if they have the shut down problem of the Tower engine.

Reports I have read on the GMS engine do indicate it is a top notch
value for the money.

If you are new to the hobby, I would suggest Thunder Tiger PRO,
Evolution or OS FX/AX series engines for your first engine. These
engines are quite good, dependable and VERY user friendly (read, 99.9%
of them run well right out of the box).

In any case, I would avoid the OS LA series and MDS brand of engines.
Do a search on RC Universe http://www.rcuniverse.com/ and form your
own opinions of them.

If you have experience tuning and setting up the idle on engines, then
you may want to consider the GMS engines also.

Just my opinion.
doug,
Morris Lee
2004-06-22 18:42:28 UTC
Post by Ted Campanelli
On 6/21/2004 6:37 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
<snip>
Post by Ted Campanelli
The GMS engines, due to their carb, are not supposed to have the idle
and transition problems, but still retain the excellent power. I have
not owned a GMS so I do not have first hand experience with them, nor do
I know if they have the shut down problem of the Tower engine.
Reports I have read on the GMS engine do indicate it is a top notch
value for the money.
<snip>
Post by Ted Campanelli
how good is this (Tower) engine compared to other brands like OS ?
thinking of
Post by Ted Campanelli
putting it in a 40 size trainer.
doug,
The OS is probably the best quality engine (You do get what you pay for).
Also, O.S. parts are easy to come by. However, the TT Pro 46 I have has
run very reliably for the last two years, and I'd recommend it in a
heartbeat. Their downside is that I've heard it's a bit difficult to get
replacement parts. I also have a GMS 47 that starts easily and transitions
beautifully, even after idling for several minutes. The only problem is
that it's a bit slow to die when the throttle is closed. I don't know how
easy or hard it is to obtain parts for these engines, though. As far as MDS
engines go, I've never had one, but a guy I was training had one in an Alpha
and it ran fine. There was also an interesting letter in RCR this month
from an old gent who said low/no nitro fuel is the solution to the problems
U.S. modelers have had with this brand of engine.

Morris
Paul McIntosh
2004-06-22 21:29:04 UTC
I have extensive experience with the GMS line. I was a dealer for several
years. I never had one returned because it wouldn't run right. They were
all strong runners and very good value for the money. I have heard reports
that some wouldn't shut off by the carb but I never personally saw one.

--
Paul McIntosh
http://www.rc-bearings.com
doug,
Rumprider
2004-06-24 02:43:25 UTC
I had one it was ok, the OS 46 is a lot nicer.